As you may or may not know during the entire month of June the world celebrates Pride month! This month honors members of the LGBTQIAP+ community as well as the troubles and triumphs they have had to endure to be respected. EVOLVE stands as an ally and we support everyone regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Each person is beautiful no matter who they are and deserves support, equal rights, and fair treatment. Here are some ways you can practice being an ally to the LGBTQIAP+ community!
- Learn about the meaning behind the acronym and how to use different pronouns! Outright International is a great resource that explains the meaning behind many sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Be vocal if you hear an offensive phrase or word targeting members of the LGBTQIAP+ community. These words are harmful and need to be corrected, so speak up and stand strong!
- Educate the people around you about being an ally! Talk to your family, friends, or school about what being an ally means and how to create an accepting community.
- Identify where you have privilege especially in relation to sexual orientation and gender identity. Acknowledging how your privilege affects your life is the first step to breaking down the societal structures that give you that privilege.
- Work with nonprofits that aim to create an equal and safe environment for members of the LGBTQIAP+ community! The Trevor Project, SAGE, and GLSEN are all examples of nonprofits to look into!
It’s time to make this world comfortable and accepting of everyone, and EVOLVE wants to help as much as possible. Be kind, remember that you have a beautiful soul, and love whoever you want to love!